06 June 2008

A One Car Family

June 2, 2008
The Ford Exploder is all gone... =( The Coast Guard will only ship one vehicle, and for most people that is ok...they just drive their other car to their new duty station....but we are not most people! We have only been able to drive to our new station once, and that was from Washington DC to Juneau, AK! Talk about a road trip. Our kids were 5, 3, & 1 at the time and it is was before portable DVD's were invented. We had a little TV/VCR combo that we hooked into the car, and we took the middle seat out of our van so the kids could watch Veggie Tales all the way across the USA! hehehe! Anyway...I am prone to wild tangents, and I was talking about the Exploder. We checked on how much it would cost to ship it to Alaska, and it was going to be over $3,000, so we decided to sell it. Newspaper ads are too expensive, and I was talking to a friend of mine about selling the truck, and she said I should try craigslist. I am a complete craigslist virgin, so I was a little skeptical, but figured it was free and I could post pictures, so why not try it out. I put the ad up on Friday morning. After I came home from picking up the kids from school, there was a message on the phone from a guy who wanted to look at it. He lived on another island, and said he could come over on Sunday morning to look at it. He's a flight attendant, so he hopped on an early flight Sunday morning, and Darwin picked him up and let him drive it around, and then he flew back. Dar said he took like 50 pictures of it and was really excited about it. He told us he wanted to buy it, and he would come back on Monday to pick it up. He got all his bank stuff done over on his island, and then flew here Monday around 4 pm, and put it on the Superferry and it is gone! We weren't expecting to sell it so quickly, but it is nice to have it happen fast so I could check one more thing off my to-do list. The kids only had three days left of school, so now we only have to get Darwin to work and back...and he has even been walking to work and back the last two days, so that isn't even a problem.

No comments: