25 May 2010

I'm going to miss these views!

I went on a 5 1/2 hour hike with London's class for a field trip today.  We hiked the West Glacier Trail up to the face of the glacier.  The weather was amazing,the scenery was amazing, and I enjoyed every minute.  I even got a pretty good sunburn on my forearms.  Right now my whole body is sore and I'm sure tomorrow I will be stumbling around like a grandma...but it was so worth it!

The beginning of the hike we walked along the shoreline.

Some of the icebergs out in the lake.

Another iceberg

London hiking

This is a wild lupine.  They grow everywhere up here...and I love them!

This is a view of the lake (and the visitors center) from the trail

The cloud you see in the trees is a spruce pollen cloud!  It is so thick you can see it!  Everything here in Juneau is covered with a film of pale yellow spruce pollen right now.

This is a little pond at the base of the steepest part of our hike.

The kids call this "The Cliffs of Insanity"

The first part of the climb.  If you can see, we had to rest half way up.  It really wore us all out!

Here they all are resting...and waiting for stragglers. =)

Second half of the steep climb

Here are the stragglers...and a view from the resting spot.

More of the "Cliffs of Insanity" =)

The west side of the Mendenhall Glacier.  So beautiful!!  We ate our lunch right here!

Ice break-up


Close up of the glacier ice

I think this one is my favorite!

This spot of rock was covered with ice last time we lived here!

All the kids at the glacier

London and Me...
...and Emma's head...lol.


This hike was great and I am going to sleep so good tonight! =)

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Those pictures are AMAZING!!