29 March 2008

Video of Melissa snorkeling

Some of you know that I am not a snorkeler. I am always the one on the beach with the little people, while Darwin takes the older two out snorkeling. Two years ago, when Darwin and I went over to the Big Island to attend the Kona Temple for our ward temple week, I tried out snorkeling for the first time. It didn't go so well....I could not convince myself that I could put my face in the water and still breathe. Next, one of my contacts slid up under my eyelid, and I had to get out and fix it, and finally after about 30 min. I was able to put my face in the water and float. I looked like a dead person, and Darwin just held my hand and dragged me around in the water. After I got a little more comfortable, I started to kick my legs a little and was pulling him with me. Then I looked up and right in front of me was a turtle that was as big as my torso, and I lost it! I shoved Darwin under the water and was trying to scream through the snorkel tube while climbing Dar to get out of the water and swim backwards all at the same time. After Dar recovered from being half drowned, he laughed at me, and calmed me down. I decided to try again, and as I started to relax, another turtle showed up, and I decided that if I wanted Darwin to survive, I better get out of the water. Needless to say, I haven't tried snorkeling again since then.

Today, I decided to give it another try. We were at the Molokini Crater, which is the place where all the tour boats take people to snorkel. They pay anywhere from $50 to $100 per person to snorkel there, and we only had to pay $30 for the boat rental, and fuel up the boat afterwards....we spent less than $75 total for our trip today. I was a little nervous, but I really wanted to try it again. I had Darwin take some video of me, so I could prove that I did it and didn't freak out.....granted there weren't any turtles, but I am proud of myself for trying again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job, Muh-wissa! I wish to heck you had had a video of getting away from the turtle via Dar's head. Now that would have been something to see! You did a pretty good job of describing it tho and I still have a smile on my face! :) Rs

Graham Crackerz said...

Melissa, the same thing happened to me with Marcus on our honeymoon. We came across some big fish and I was over Marcus's back and to the shore before he even knew what was going on. I had no idea I was going to react that way. Needless to say, I am very proud of you. Maybe someday I'll get my second try.