19 April 2009

Camp out!! ~Darwin's first post!!

I took Caleb on his first Boy Scout camp this weekend. It was a lot of fun. There was a lot of dads and two leaders, so we were one on one with the boys. We did a two hour hike to the cabins, the hike is normally a little shorter but there was 2 to 3 feet of snow that was softening on the trail. It was like walking on a balance beam that you could not see and not everyone did so good. We identified plants and animals on the way out. We had a lot of fun walking with the boys. When we got there we built a fire and made dinner. All the boys thought it was the best food that they had ever eaten. The hamburgers "were ever, even better then McDonald's". That night I read the Patrick McManis's story "The Skunk Ladder". I could not stop laughing the entire time that I was reading. Then we all went to bed. The next day the boys worked on scout skills like sharpening a knife and ax, chopping wood and lashing. Caleb and I were able to walk down to the beach and look at birds and other animals. We had a lot of fun. The walk out was another two hour walk and we were both glad to get to the truck and drive home. The night we spent in the cabin, Caleb said that he thought he heard a bear. I guess I still snore.

Here are some pictures.












No comments: