06 February 2011

Journal Jar #6

Tell about your first date.

My first date was with Wally Birch.  I was 15 years, 11 months and 3 weeks old...and not allowed to date until I was 16.   I tricked my mom into letting me go on a date before I was officially 16.  Each November, our school held a Harvest dance.  It was a girl-ask-guy dance and you were supposed to buy matching shirts to wear at the dance.  The dance was scheduled for exactly one week before I turned 16.  I was talking to my mom at Albertsons a few weeks before the dance and said something like, "So, if someone asks me to the dance...I have to tell them no because I'm one week away from being 16!  That is so unfair!"  She (totally not knowing that it was a girl's choice dance) told me that if someone actually asked me, then I could go.  As soon as the words were out of her mouth, I ran to the back of the store and found Wally (he worked at Albertsons) and asked him if he wanted to go with me!  hahahaha!  I don't remember too much about the actual date.  I know we went out and bought shirts together sometime before the dance and went to eat at The Brick Oven Beanery in downtown Boise the night of the dance. I think that was the only date we went on!  hahaha!   He was a senior and I was a sophomore, so we didn't have too much in common.  He was in band and played the alto saxophone...and I had played the alto sax my freshman year, but moved over to the drum corp for the rest of my high school years.  There was a huge group of people from band and drum corp that went to the dance, so it was more of a match-everyone-up and go have fun together kind of group.  He was a gentleman and I had fun on my very first date.


1 comment:

heather said...

are your pants pegged? nice....