20 February 2011

Journal Jar #8

How many scars do you have and how did you get them?

I can think of five scars.  I'll start at the top and work my way down.

1. I have a scar in my right eyebrow.  When I was in elementary school (I can't remember how old I was) my parents took all of us to the Piercy's house for game night.  The Piercy's had a son that was close to my age named Perry...Perry Piercy.  They had other kids too, but I don't remember their names...wait, I think one of them's name was Noel.  Anyway, we were being kids...making a huge mess, jumping on things, yelling, that type of playing and things got out of control.  Perry picked up a chalkboard that was shaped like a black cat (and probably 2 ft. tall and a foot wide) and threw it like a frisbee across the room...and it hit me right on my right brow bone and started bleeding like crazy!  Things were crazy for a minute while the appropriate actions were taken...but after getting cleaned up and having a washcloth filled with ice for the bump, I think we watched Lady and the Tramp and had "quiet time" while the parents finished their game.  And Perry, if you ever google your name and find this post...don't worry, it's all good and you are forgiven. =)

2. I also have a scar right on the outside corner of my right eye...not even a half inch from the one in my eyebrow!  I got this scar much earlier.  I really don't remember much about this one, but of the eight kids in my family...there was only me and my brother Micah around, which would have put me under the age of 4.  (Cody was born two weeks before my fourth birthday).  I was sitting on the floor near a coffee table, and Micah was behind me....and he may have been crawling then...but anyway, he shoved me into the corner of the coffee table and cut my eye open.  I remember laying on a table with a big light above it, but the doctors wouldn't put stitches in it since it was too close to my eye.  My mom remembers more about that part...maybe...lol.  I don't remember if I had a patch or some kind of bandage or anything, but I still have a scar from the coffee table near my right eye.

3. I have a scar along the outside edge of  my right index finger.  We were living in Kodiak and were days away from moving to Washington DC.  We invited our neighbors, the Mumfords, over for dinner...halibut I think, we were trying to get rid of it since we couldn't take it with us.  Our house in Kodiak didn't have a dishwasher so we had to wash everything by hand.  I was washing a tall, clear glass...and the glass cracked and sliced from the middle of my right index finger down to my knuckle as I was pushing the washcloth into the glass to clean it.  No stitches...it wasn't very deep, but it did leave a mark!

4. I have a tiny cluster of scars on my right shin.  When I was 13 or 14 my mom was driving me through the neighborhood to a babysitting job.  I was going to babysitting my brother's friend Cody Holford (aka "Dope").  We approached an unmarked intersection and slowly proceeded through...since we had the right-of-way.  The truck on our left did not yield and smashed into the front of our car going about 30 miles an hour.  I had my legs crossed and my right shin ran into something in the center console area and I bumped my head.  After the accident, the guy got out and told the police that he was super tired and didn't know if he was very awake.  I think I got $100 for "pain and suffering" or something like that.

5. I have a scar on the top of my left big toe from having a bunionectomy.  I just wrote about that last week, so I don't need to do it again. =)

No comments: