10 May 2011

State Track and Field Meet in Maui!

Brooklin qualified for States this year (as a freshman!) in the 300m hurdles.  The state meet was in Maui this year and I was so excited I decided to fly over to support her and her teammates...and visit my favorite island in Hawaii!  We flew out May 5th and the meet was taking place on the 6th and 7th at the War Memorial Stadium in Kahului.  I did not go as a chaperone, so I did not stay at the hotel with the team.  I stayed with our Wailuku Ward bishop and his family (the Wada Family) and I am so grateful for their hospitality! 



We found out a day or two before we left that Brooklin would not be running the 300m hurdles because the officials had decided to eliminate the last heat of qualifiers.  She was lucky though to be able to run in a 4x100m relay.  One of the girls who's heat was eliminated didn't get to run at all.  It was a great experience for Brooklin, and I had a great time visiting with friends and cheering for her and her teammates.  There were 61 schools represented at the meet!!




While I was in Maui Grandma Wada and Sister Wada taught me how to make fresh plumeria leis.  They had several plumeria trees in their yard, so we went out and picked all the fresh ones (with no brown on them) and then they taught me how to string them into leis!  We made one for Brooklin, and one for me and another sister for Mother's Day.






The team flew home on Sunday afternoon, but since it was Mother's Day...and I wanted to see our old ward family and hear primary children singing...we paid extra for Brooklin to get to stay longer and attend church and see some of her friends there.  It was amazing to be able to see all of our dear friends back on Maui!  I sure do miss that place!

Before picking Brooklin up and attending church (at 1pm), I drove myself up to the Pulehu chapel in Kula.  It is such an awesome place.  I was the only one there and it was just so peaceful and beautiful.  I'm so glad I was able to visit there again!





We flew out Sunday evening...after an hour delay...and got home around 10pm.  It was a great trip and I'm so glad I was on a break from school so I could go and enjoy myself. =)

No comments: