24 October 2010

...and now it's October!

The year is just going so fast!
I can't believe it's already the end of October!
We have had a good month.

We went to the Makapu'u Lighthouse two weeks ago and hikes about five miles total.  The trail was paved all the way up and when the trail went behind the mountain, it was extremely hot.  The wind was blowing and I lost my hat several times.  We found a geocache and got to look at some old WWII bunkers.  We packed a picnic lunch and had it at the top.  It was a beautiful hike.


This is how I see my family on most hikes we go on.
I am the slowest hiker...kind of like that rhino in the stampede in the movie Jumanji. =)

I have to run ahead to get a picture of them from the front...
...or just wait for one of the little kids to need help getting their water out of their backpacks (that slows them all down for a minute and I can usually catch up.  Sometimes I even pass them).

We are pretty sure it was a clear enough day that we could see Molokai from here.

 Happy London.


Rabbit and Turtle Islands

The Makapu'u Lighthouse.
The gate to walk right up to it is closed, so this is as close as you can get.

It was really windy up at the top and I kept loosing my hat.  Darwin caught it for me more than once.


Darwin pointing to Brooklin who had just found the geocache.

The kids with the geocache.
(Notice that they dropped the GPS on the ground...nice).

Hiking up to the WWII bunkers



There was a lot of cactus on the unpaved part of the trail


If you look close, you can see the lighthouse in this picture.

This is clear at the top.  Our truck is parked in the parking lot down below.

Hiking back down.

Here is a reverse shot of the peak we were on from the parking lot.



After the hike, we stopped at Hanauma Bay to play at the beach and go snorkeling.  Everyone but Isaiah and I saw turtles, and we all saw tons of fish.  No pictures of this part of the trip, but after our fun day, we decided to eat at Papa John's Pizza.  We ordered our pizza and then sat outside at the tables on the sidewalk.  The table we were at was right outside of a place called Bubbies Homemade Ice Cream & Desserts.  All the kids were begging for ice cream, and I told them that we'd had enough fun already for one day and they didn't need dessert too.  That, of course, didn't stop them from begging.  Darwin finished his pizza and got up and walked into the ice cream store!  He came out with a box.  It had a full ice cream cake inside.  He had the woman write "To: Melissa" on the top with red glaze.  Then, he told me that the name of the cake was the first one on the menu board.  The name of my cake was...


hahahahaha!!
It was DELICIOUS!
I was "officially" offended, but it was too funny not to laugh at! =)  Especially since I was adamant that we didn't need dessert too. (and if you clicked on the link, he did NOT pay $68 for this cake.  That is only the price if you buy it on the internet and have it shipped to you).





No comments: